-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: "Timeout Expired" problem (or not really...)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:25 pm 

I have quite a strange problem on my hands: the database is apparently giving me timeouts, but that's not the whole story... I'm betting I'm doing something wrong somewhere, but for the life of me I can't think of anything and no amount of search on the internet has helped me.

You can check the details below, but nhibernate is complaining that the SQL Server timeouts on some SQL. I've run that same SQL in a query window and the execution time is laughable (<1s), so that's not it.

From the log code example, you can see that the problem happens during the lazy-loading of the array Events.Entries.

I tried many many things, including rebooting servers, but this problem is consistent (what you are seeing here is the problem as it relates to the test page, but I found it happening in the code as well). Starting with an empty database, I can recreate that problem 100% of the time by creating some entries in a specific order. I don't know what is the straw that breaks the camel's back because before entering the fateful entry, all the application behaves correctly... To be clear, let me repeat that: I enter 2 values and the site behaves perfectly normal. I enter the 3rd entry and bamn, I can't lazily load the Entries array anymore. Completely wierd to me.

Anyway, I've tested many things as I said. At one point I thought I might have a problem with a circular reference involving 3 objects in my diagram (which I still don't know if it is a problem with NHibernate, but I figured it cannot really help). So I've started laying down the diagram in a different way and reworked the mapping file.

So I've got it to a point where if I take one line of the mapping file off, the site behaves normally (and the test) and there is no problem. If I put the ling back, I've got the problem. That line is highlighted in the mapping file and it is a Int32 field, of all things! How can that changes anything?

I've suspected database corruption, but that isn't it (I've reproduced the bug on a fresh db as I mentionned). I'm at the end of my options, which is why I'm posting here. I hope I'm just being silly and someone can tell me which stupid mistake I've made.

Thanks in advance,
Alain-Daniel

Hibernate version: 1.2 RC1

Mapping documents:
I'll copy the appropriate section.
Code:
<joined-subclass name="Competition.Business.CompetitionEntry, Competition.Business" table="t_competition_entries">
         <key column="CompetitionEntryID"/>
         <many-to-one name="Event" column="CompetitionEventID" not-null="true"/>
         [color=darkred]<!--PROBLEM HERE <many-to-one name="Category" column="CompetitionEventCategoryID" not-null="true"/>-->[/color]
         <property name="CategoryID" column="CompetitionEventCategoryID" not-null="true"/>
         <property name="PublicID" column="PublicID" type="String" length="20" not-null="true" />
         <bag name="Inscriptions" table="t_rel_competition_inscriptions_entries" where="Code = ' '" inverse="true" cascade="all">
            <key column="CompetitionEntryID"/>
            <many-to-many class="Competition.Business.CompetitionInscription, Competition.Business" column="CompetitionInscriptionID"/>
         </bag>
      </joined-subclass>

The previous object is loaded by this object:

Code:
<joined-subclass name="Competition.Business.CompetitionEvent, Competition.Business" table="t_competition_events">
         <key column="CompetitionEventID"/>
         <property name="Description" type="String" length="1000" not-null="false" />
         <many-to-one name="ParentCompetition" column="CompetitionID" not-null="true"/>

<bag name="Checkpoints"  order-by="SequenceNo asc" inverse="true" cascade="all" >
            <one-to-many class="Competition.Business.Checkpoint, Competition.Business"/>
         </bag>

<bag name="Classes" inverse="true"  cascade="all">
            <one-to-many class="Competition.Business.CompetitionEventClass, Competition.Business"/>
         </bag>
         <bag name="Categories" inverse="true" cascade="all" >
            <one-to-many class="Competition.Business.CompetitionEventCategory, Competition.Business"/>
         </bag>
         <set name="Entries" inverse="true" >
            <one-to-many class="Competition.Business.CompetitionEntry, Competition.Business"/>
         </set>

</joined-subclass>

(in the Entries relationship).

Code between sessionFactory.openSession() and session.close():
I've created a test for it but it involves the visitor pattern, so it is a bit long:

Code:
public partial class Tests_testDAL : System.Web.UI.Page
{
   protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
   {
      DisplayVisitor vis = new DisplayVisitor();
      vis.Response = Response;
      Response.Write("Loading all competitions<br />");
      IList comps = EntityDataSourceUtils.GetCompetitions();
      foreach (Competition.Business.Competition comp in comps)
      {
         comp.Accept(vis);

}
   }
}

public class DisplayVisitor : Visitor
{
   public HttpResponse Response = null;
   int indent = 0;
   public override void Visit(object visitable)
   {
      AddIndent();
      base.Visit(visitable);
      RemoveIndent();
   }
   public virtual void Visit(Competition.Business.Competition entity)
   {
      WriteLine("Competition " + entity.Name + " (ID:" + entity.ID + ")");
      foreach (CompetitionEvent ev in entity.Events)
      {
         ev.Accept(this);
      }
   }
   public virtual void Visit(CompetitionEvent entity)
   {
      WriteLine("Event " + entity.Name + " (ID:" + entity.ID + ")");
[color=darkred]      foreach (CompetitionEntry ev in entity.Entries) // PROBLEM HAPPENS HERE[/color]
      {
         ev.Accept(this);
      }
      foreach (CompetitionEventCategory cat in entity.Categories)
      {
         cat.Accept(this);
      }
   }
   public virtual void Visit(CompetitionEntry entity)
   {
      WriteLine("Event " + entity.Name + " (ID:" + entity.ID + ")");
   }
   public virtual void Visit(CompetitionEventCategory entity)
   {
      WriteLine("Category " + entity.Name + " (ID:" + entity.ID + ")");
   }
   void AddIndent() { indent++; }
   void RemoveIndent() { indent--; }
   void Write( string str )
   {
      int count = 0;
      while (count < indent)
      {
         Response.Write("&nbsp;&nbsp;");
         count++;
      }
      Response.Write(str);
   }
   void WriteLine(string str)
   {
      Write(str + "<br />");
   }
}

It is a web page that displays the content of the objects.

Full stack trace of any exception that occurs:
Here we go. The innermost exception says Timeout Expired. Here is the debug info from the logger:
17:07:54.953 [4] ERROR NHibernate.LazyInitializationException - Failed to lazily initialize a collection
NHibernate.LazyInitializationException: Failed to lazily initialize a collection ---> NHibernate.ADOException: could not initialize a collection: [Competition.Business.CompetitionEvent.Entries#4][SQL: SELECT entries0_.CompetitionEventID as Competit2___1_, entries0_.CompetitionEntryID as Competit1_1_, entries0_.CompetitionEntryID as EntityID1_0_, entries0_.CompetitionEventID as Competit2_10_0_, entries0_.CompetitionEventCategoryID as Competit3_10_0_, entries0_.PublicID as PublicID10_0_, entries0_1_.Name as Name1_0_, entries0_1_.IsPrivate as IsPrivate1_0_ FROM t_competition_entries entries0_ inner join t_entities entries0_1_ on entries0_.CompetitionEntryID=entries0_1_.EntityID WHERE entries0_.CompetitionEventID=?] ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSniError(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, UInt32 error)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSni(DbAsyncResult asyncResult, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadPacket(Int32 bytesExpected)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadBuffer()
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadByte()
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData()
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader()
at NHibernate.Impl.BatcherImpl.ExecuteReader(IDbCommand cmd)
at NHibernate.Loader.Loader.GetResultSet(IDbCommand st, RowSelection selection, ISessionImplementor session)
at NHibernate.Loader.Loader.DoQuery(ISessionImplementor session, QueryParameters queryParameters, Boolean returnProxies)
at NHibernate.Loader.Loader.DoQueryAndInitializeNonLazyCollections(ISessionImplementor session, QueryParameters queryParameters, Boolean returnProxies)
at NHibernate.Loader.Loader.LoadCollection(ISessionImplementor session, Object id, IType type)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at NHibernate.Loader.Loader.LoadCollection(ISessionImplementor session, Object id, IType type)
at NHibernate.Loader.Collection.CollectionLoader.Initialize(Object id, ISessionImplementor session)
at NHibernate.Persister.Collection.AbstractCollectionPersister.Initialize(Object key, ISessionImplementor session)
at NHibernate.Impl.SessionImpl.InitializeCollection(IPersistentCollection collection, Boolean writing)
at NHibernate.Collection.AbstractPersistentCollection.Initialize(Boolean writing)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Name and version of the database you are using:
SQL 2005 Express

The generated SQL (show_sql=true):
As you can see in the log here is the SQL generated and which supposedly causes a timeout:
Code:
SQL: SELECT entries0_.CompetitionEventID as Competit2___1_, entries0_.CompetitionEntryID as Competit1_1_, entries0_.CompetitionEntryID as EntityID1_0_, entries0_.CompetitionEventID as Competit2_10_0_, entries0_.CompetitionEventCategoryID as Competit3_10_0_, entries0_.PublicID as PublicID10_0_, entries0_1_.Name as Name1_0_, entries0_1_.IsPrivate as IsPrivate1_0_ FROM t_competition_entries entries0_ inner join t_entities entries0_1_ on entries0_.CompetitionEntryID=entries0_1_.EntityID WHERE entries0_.CompetitionEventID=?

Debug level Hibernate log excerpt:
DEBUG

Post subject: Re: "Timeout Expired" problem (or not really...)
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:35 am 

I have the same problem. It doesn't occur regularly or consistently, though. I can't remember getting the failed SQL query in the stack trace either, so I'm not entirely sure which collection it is that failed loading. I think it might be a dictionary of Settings in a Customer class, which is indexed by an Enum.

I use ActiveRecord and not NHibernate directly, but this problem obviously originates from NHibernate. I'll post my stack trace once the error occurs again.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:49 am 

Ah, I forgot about logging. I found this in my NHibernate log:

Code:
2009-05-14T10:56:52.628 [7] WARN  NHibernate.Util.ADOExceptionReporter - System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader()
   at NHibernate.Impl.BatcherImpl.ExecuteReader(IDbCommand cmd)
   at NHibernate.Loader.Loader.GetResultSet(IDbCommand st, RowSelection selection, ISessionImplementor session)
   at NHibernate.Loader.Loader.DoQuery(ISessionImplementor session, QueryParameters queryParameters, Boolean returnProxies)
   at NHibernate.Loader.Loader.DoQueryAndInitializeNonLazyCollections(ISessionImplementor session, QueryParameters queryParameters, Boolean returnProxies)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:09 pm 

Do you solved this problem? I have a very similar problem.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:35 am 

Have you resolved the issue. I am facing similar problem suddenly cropped up and could not narrow down the root cause. pls help?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:00 am 

I am facing the same problem - using NH2.0.1.4000.

My query is itself an SQL query running via NHibernate. Strange thing is, the query fails, the software recovers and dozens of other things occur and run correctly and on the next cycle that exact same query fails... over and over again. It seems unlikely that some external entity is interfering on hundreds of different runs. I take the query & run it in SQL management studio and it runs fine. I restart the application and presto - the exact same query runs fine and the system progresses for a day or a week or several weeks.

The application is nearly entirely stateless (all state data is in the DB), and also nearly entirely single threaded - all the main code runs in a single thread with a global mutex (because of a simultaneously running web-service) to restrict access during all NHibernate operations.

My error log is nearly identical once the stack gets into NHibernate, except near the top:
Code:
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.SetMetaData(_SqlMetaDataSet metaData, Boolean moreInfo)

the rest is the same.

Has anybody encountered these timeout exceptions and been able to determine a common cause?

Thanks in advance,
Markus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:05 am 

Misery loves company -

Looks like this error is not too uncommon - it occurs in a lot of web pages in the Google cache - I found this site by googling:

NHibernate.ADOException: could not execute query System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.

but most of the results are just random websites where the exception occurred like one from the American Diabetes Association. Interesting to see who all is using NHibernate.

Markus

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]