-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nhibernate unable to save value in varchar(30) column
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:38 pm 

Hi,
I have a property called Name (string type) which maps to name column in database table. This column is varchar(30). When I map the column in the mappping file, I specify the length attribute for the property as 30. I assume that hiberate will automatically trim name property to 30 characters when saving the value to the database.

However, when the application specifies a value of more than 30 characters to name property and tries to save it in the database, nhibernate gives an error saying "string or binary data would be truncated". It does not seems to truncate the name property to 30 characters automatically and save in the database but rather throws the above error.

Please let me know if there is any way to configure nhibernate so that it can automatically truncate a property before saving it in the database if the length of the property is more than what is specified in the mapping file.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:10 pm 

Yeah. This used to work the way you're describing. It used to sub-string the value to the specified length when generating/performing the insert/update query.

I ran into this problem today too.

The real question is... Is the nHibernate roadmap changing the behavior of truncation? (i.e. do we have to manage it in the client code before it hits the underlying database going forward?)

Or is this a bug?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:33 am 
Expert
Expert

I ran into the same problem a few weeks ago. Specifiying the sql-type, too, solved the problem for me:

Code:
sql-type="varchar(30)" length="30"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:14 pm 

Hey Wolli... What version of NHibernate are you running?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:28 pm 
Expert
Expert

1.2.1 GA

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]