-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Contributions Welcome!
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:56 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

If you have ever thought of contributing to NHibernate, but then couldn't find something easy enough for you to do, you have been heard. I have created a JIRA task (NH-616) which will be linked to issues that are either easy or a bit harder but straightforward to implement.

If you have never thought of contributing to NHibernate, then, well, maybe you should think again? Here is a list of a few reasons why:
  • Improved understanding of NHibernate internals will help you in your job.
  • If you implement something that is useful for you and it is accepted into the core code base, you don't have to maintain it anymore.
  • A significant amount of contributions will earn you a special Contributor rank in the forum :-)
  • You will do something different from your usual work.

In the past, I have often postponed applying contributed patches until the short time before the release, but now I promise I will give them higher priority, so that you can get some feedback and see the results of your work much sooner.

I'm also willing to provide guidance and advice to any potential contributors via e-mail, instant messaging or IRC.

Sergey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:37 pm 

Anybody to contribute stored procedure implementation for 1.2 version?
I can help whoever is doing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:50 am 
Regular
Regular

Beside playing with the lastest code source, is there any thing else (reading??) I could do to familiarize myself and to start contribute to this project?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:49 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Not much unfortunately, see my post in this topic for a brief overview of the design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:04 pm 

How about documentation initiative for NHibernate Contributor?
Any good technical documentor out there?

Post subject: VistaDB 3.0 Driver / Dialect
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:40 pm 

Hi

I don't know the exact precedure for contributing but I've posted an NHibernate 1.2 beta 2 driver / dialect for VistaDB 3.0 CTP here: http://www.vistadb.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=720

(UPDATE: Just realised you can't see the attachments without being logged on to the VistaDB Forums so I'll upload it somewhere and post a link later)

More details about VistaDB are available here: http://www.vistadb.net/features.asp (I have no connection to VistaDB other than as a customer)

... basically it's an embedded database in 100% managed code, very impressive and great for XCopy deployment. NHibernate of course allows you to scale up to SQL, Oracle or whatever if you need at a later date.

There are a few unit tests that don't work yet but I'll keep working on the driver to iron out the things I can and will feed back DB issues to VistaDB.

Cheers

http://www.intesoft.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:22 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

The ideal way to contribute new code is to create a JIRA issue here: http://jira.nhibernate.org/ and attach the code (or patchs if you change NHibernate) in a zip file.

In your case, you can re-open the one you created a while ago: http://jira.nhibernate.org/browse/NH-326 ;)

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:01 pm 
Regular
Regular

So, umm, how exactly does one get around JIRA? For example, I noticed that 616 lists 633 as a possible change. However, in looking at 633 (http://jira.nhibernate.org/browse/NH-633), I don't quite understand what the defect is.

Does it just need to be fleshed out / cleaned up further and submitted as a patch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:29 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I'll have to update NH-616 to include more issues since almost all issues it links to have already been fixed.

In case of NH-633, it needs to be implemented completely. The patch that is there only fixes part of it. Leave comments on the JIRA issue directly if you need more clarification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:23 pm 
Regular
Regular

I'd like to look at tackling NH-800 for fun.

Do we just create an SVN patch and post it to the JIRA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:29 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that's right.

Sandcastle was way too immature when I last looked at it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:30 pm 
Regular
Regular

sergey wrote:
Yes, that's right.

Sandcastle was way too immature when I last looked at it though.

I think it still might be, although it looks like you last looked at it in December (by your JIRA notes at least) and it might have come along since then.... if nothing else, I'll take my feedback on Sandcastle to the Microsoft guys on our team and see if it can't get a little traction to address then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:30 am 

I noticed most of the items on the entry level task list were checked off. Still seeking contributors?

If yes, please point me to some work items.

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:38 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, contributions are always welcome - at this point feel free to browse through unresolved issues in JIRA and submit a patch for any issue you feel you can handle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:14 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Would it be possible for me to get a branch created and given write access to it? I'm looking at the codebase and see tons of little cleanup/refactoring type things I could take care of, but creating and uploading a patchfile for each one would be cumbersome. With a branch I could make small atomic commits every 5-10 minutes and then Sergey or one of the other project leads could review/merge these changes to trunk whenever they have time.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next