-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Spring and hibernate 3
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:37 am 
Senior
Senior

I'm provisionally looking to migrate to hibernate 3 and have come to a grinding halt as Spring does not currently support Hibernate 3 (probably due to the change in package names as much as anything else).

Is there anything in hibernate 3 which makes the use of Spring less attractive ? At the moment the inversion of control features in Spring make coding hibernate very easy (e.g. no need to handle sessions or transactions programmaticlly).

I'd be interested to knwo what other Spring users plan to do as far as migrating to hibernate 3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:46 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

If you are in a CMT environment, you should no longer need Spring. AFAICT, people use spring here for four things:

(1) session handling/flushing
(2) transaction management
(3) SQLException mapping
(4) Runtime exceptions model

Well, with hibernate.transaction.flush_before_completion and hibernate.transaction.auto_close_session, (1) is now much, much easier. (2) is handled by CMT. (3) is implemented in the Hibernate Dialect. And Hibernate3 has an unchecked exception model, so (4) is no longer relevant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:50 am 
Senior
Senior

gavin wrote:
If you are in a CMT environment, you should no longer need Spring..

Thanks for that Gavin. I think I'll convert a small project and see how that goes.

By the way, since we switched to hibernate, we have about 95% les persistence code, and a 6 fold increase in speed when saving our object model.

Brilliant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:08 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Quote:
If you are in a CMT environment, you should no longer need Spring. AFAICT, people use spring here for four things:

(3) SQLException mapping

i can answer for other users who use tomcat for example
(1)- just mix hibernateUtil + servletFilter and you'll have a great session handling, you just have to improve caveatemptor sample to manage both short and long application transaction handling
(2)- no so hard to manage in your controller layer or better in business delegation layer, you just have to abstract transaction
Quote:
(3) is implemented in the Hibernate Dialect. And Hibernate3 has an unchecked exception model, so (4) is no longer relevant

Post subject: converting spring based code to non-spring hibernate 3 code
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:11 am 
Senior
Senior

gavin wrote:

(3) SQLException mapping

Well, with hibernate.transaction.flush_before_completion and hibernate.transaction.auto_close_session, (1) is now much, much easier. (2) is handled by CMT. (3) is implemented in the Hibernate Dialect. And Hibernate3 has an unchecked exception model, so (4) is no longer relevant.

Given that I am used to calling hibernate from Spring, I am used to having a Spring applicationContext.xml file.

I've just converted a simple project to use hibernate.cfg.xml

My application code currently is implemented in clsses that extend Spring's HibernateDaoSupport class. So for instance, to save something I do:

getHibernateTemplate().saveOrUpdate(instance);

I am not used to doing anything with sessions or transactions as a result of the reliance on Spring.

Is there any example code of an absolutley minimal Hibernate 3 that does the same as above, running in a CMT ?

Basically I would like to know how to convert my Spring based hibernate 2 methods to plain Hibernate 3.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Spring and hibernate 3
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:45 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Paul Newport wrote:
I'd be interested to knwo what other Spring users plan to do as far as migrating to hibernate 3.

I'm currently working on a project with Spring + hibernate 3. I started with Hibernate 2.1 but had too many issues with collections and composite keys so I switched to Hibernate 3 and everything worked out of the box.
You can find classes for hibernate 3 at http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/spring/browse/SPR-300.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:00 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Quote:
I am not used to doing anything with sessions or transactions as a result of the reliance on Spring.

If you are in a CMT session bean, if you enable hibernate.transaction.flush_before_completion, hibernate.transaction.auto_close_session and provide hibernate.transaction.flush_before_completion and hibernate.transaction.manager_lookup_class, then there should be not much difference. You don't need to manually handle transactions or do exception handling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:09 pm 
Senior
Senior

gavin wrote:
Quote:

If you are in a CMT session bean, if you enable hibernate.transaction.flush_before_completion, hibernate.transaction.auto_close_session and provide hibernate.transaction.flush_before_completion and hibernate.transaction.manager_lookup_class, then there should be not much difference. You don't need to manually handle transactions or do exception handling.

OK thanks Gavin, I will try all this out once I get hold of a 1.4 version of H3 (source forge's cvs seems to be unavailable at the moment).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:11 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

just run "ant jar" in your hibernate 3.0beta4 install dir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:53 am 
Senior
Senior

gavin wrote:

All up and working now thanks. I've noticed some System.out.println's in teh code, will this go in the RC ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:56 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Paul Newport wrote:
gavin wrote:

All up and working now thanks. I've noticed some System.out.println's in teh code, will this go in the RC ?

Oh serious??

let me check...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:58 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Uuummm ... I didn't find anything Bad....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:17 am 

gavin wrote:

(3) SQLException mapping

for example :
spring can manage transaction with method ,
and have transaction definitions like PROPAGATION_REQUIRED,
like:PROPAGATION_MANDATORY...
Code:
<bean id="myProductService"
class="org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionProxyFactoryBean">
<property name="transactionManager">
<ref bean="myTransactionManager"/>
</property>
<property name="target">
<ref bean="myProductServiceTarget"/>
</property>
<property name="transactionAttributes">
<props>
<prop key="increasePrice*">PROPAGATION_REQUIRED</prop>
<prop key="someOtherBusinessMethod">PROPAGATION_MANDATORY</prop>
</props>
</property>
</bean>

how do it in hibernate3?
thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:46 am 
Senior
Senior

gavin wrote:
Quote:

Can you point me towards the documentation on these new properties ? Do I have to manually open and close sessions, which is something I never did in the Spring version of code I was using.

I've tried going down the hibernate 3 route, and have got into loads of problems with sessions not being closed when they should be, with the result that updates don't get committed etc. I'm quite ahppy to open and close sessions manually as described in the Hibernate 2 documentation, I'm just wondering how exactly hibernate 3 makes our life easier in this respect.

I noticed you mentioned hibernate.transaction.flush_before_completion twice, was this just a typo, or is there another property missing ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:55 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

That was a typo.

You have to manually open sessions. You do not have to close them.

Enable logging and check that org.hibernate.engine.CacheSynchronization.beforeCompletion() is getting called.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next