-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate Search 5.8.0.Beta2 - estimated production release?
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:09 am 

I am working on a project to migrate our legacy Hibernate Search (4.2.1.Final) application to a clustered environment.

Hibernate Search 5.8.0.Beta2 is very appealing as it offers ElasticSearch integration.

I have a limited window for development and need to ensure that during the span of the project that a full production release of 5.8.0 is released.

Is there an estimated due date for a full 5.8.0 release?

Thanks
John

Post subject: Re: Hibernate Search 5.8.0.Beta2 - estimated production release?
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:52 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi John,

our official answer is "we'll release it when it's ready". My personal estimate is it will take about 5 to 6 weeks; I hope a bit faster even but you know software development is hard to predict ;)

You can have a look at open issues and overall progress for 5.8 here:
- https://hibernate.atlassian.net/issues/ ... 0.Beta2%20)

Something that helps us a lot to keep on track is feedback from people like yourself. I hope you're trying it out already, so that if you identify potential issues we can solve them in the current sprint, rather than being a blocker for you after it's released.

Version 4.2.1 is quite old. May I suggest that, even if you don't jump to 5.8.x yet, you already get your application updated to some recent 5.x version? That will make it much easier for you to later update to 5.8+ as there are other migration steps which will already have been taken, for example upgrading the Hibernate ORM version.

N.B. Even if we release version 5.8 on time we still consider the Elasticsearch integration experimental, as the current API is very Lucene-centric. The internals should be stable and safe to use, but we plan to work on a major version 6.0 next and make the API "Lucene agnostic" so that people using Elasticsearch won't have to code with Lucene APIs in the way.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:02 am 

Hi Sanne, thanks for the quick response!

Our current Hibernate Search based application is a single point of failure and were looking to cluster the search for resiliency.

The clustering capabilities of ElasticSearch coupled with the Hibernate Search api make 5.8.0 attractive to us.

I will download the beta and have a look.

Thanks for your help.

John

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:03 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Thanks! Let us know how it goes.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]