-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: ContainedIn Multiple Classes (Hibernate Search 5.1.1)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:00 pm 

Here is the issue.

I have classes A and B, each of which hold a reference to an object of class C. There is nothing in common between A & B other than the fact that they both contain a C.

I would like to have C @IndexEmbedded (OneToOne) in both A & B.... And this works fine as long as I want to manually update the indexes when C changes, but I would prefer to avoid that.

I only really need these one way associations in my domain, but it appears I need the inverse OneToMany association annotated with @ContainedIn to enable HS to handle the automatic index update. Is my only option to alter the data model and inject a superclass to hold the association to C and then have A and B extend it (thereby providing a superclass to reference in the inverse association)? If so, does that require using a table per class inheritance approach or can I get by with a @MappedSuperclass? This seems like it would be a common problem but I haven't found any documentation referencing it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

Post subject: Re: ContainedIn Multiple Classes (Hibernate Search 5.1.1)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:32 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

The alternative is to add two different @OneToMany on C, one pointing to A and one pointing to B. That way you don't need the superclass.

We do require the bidirectional approach as we need to know which A and B instances are containing a given instance of C. The explicit mapping is our way of discovering that.
That made me think that we could theoretically go without it and use a query instead. I have created a feature request for it https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HSEARCH-1937

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]