-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: About Hibernate
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:04 am 

I am just wondering how they got the name Hibernate? The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as (1) "having lost motion or the power of exertion or feeling" and (2) "lacking in energy or vigor" as "apathetic" or "dull".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:50 am 

I don't know the true answer, but I've always assumed it was like the power management technique.

With laptops (predominantly), you can store the contents of RAM to the hard disk, so that it can be completely shut down and power can be removed.
When the machine is rebooted, it loads the data from the hard disk and into RAM, and you carry on like nothing happened. This is called "Hibernating", or getting your system to "Hibernate".

In a way, you can have an object, store/persist it to the database, shut down the app/computer, then when the app is back up, you can load the object from the database like nothing ever happened.

I'll probably be told that I'm totally wrong and that it was in the next chapter (I'm only up to chapter 2!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:17 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

http://blog.hibernate.org/cgi-bin/blosx ... 2/02#names

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]