-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: implicit join : theta or inner ?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:26 am 
Expert
Expert

Hibernate version:

Hi,

In the chapter 7 of the book, on page 266, there is an explanation on implicit joins. In the example the hql query with implicit joins is translated with inner joins in the sql query.

But in the forum I found this gavin's post : http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.ph ... icit+theta

In this post, gavin said that implicit joins are transalated in theta style joins but I cannot understand his explanation.

I did some tests with a relation like the cat's mate in the reference documentation. It seems that implicit joins are translated into theta style joins. Can you explain me why and can you tell me if it is an error in the book or if it depends on the circumstances ?

Thanx

Seb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:36 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

The example in the book is not Hibernate-generated SQL, but hand written for illustration purposes. For a human the normal join syntax is easier to understand. It shouldn't make any difference for the query optimizer, even the driving table is easy to determine in both cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:47 am 
Expert
Expert

christian wrote:
It shouldn't make any difference for the query optimizer, even the driving table is easy to determine in both cases.

Sorry to say that but can you explain this a little bit : I don't take it.

Does hibernate generates theta or implicit join ? If hibernat generates theta, is it possible to know why it does that ?

Thanx

Seb

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]