-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Logging issue in Hibernate Tools plugin in Eclipse
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:41 pm 

I am using the hibernate tools in Eclipse to reverse engineer an SQLServer DB.
To debug some issues, I enabled debug logging in hibernate-log4j.properties.
Globally, I'm really pleased with the reverse engineering, but I encountered a couple of issues related to logging, which I thought might be useful to other users.

1. After changing the hibernate-log4j.properties in the eclipse plugin directory, you have to restart eclipse for the changes to take effect. It would be useful to add this to the documentation.

2. After enabling DEBUG level, I got DEBUG level messages from my custom strategy class and some other Hibernate classes like org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration. But I didn't get any logs from any classes in the org.hibernate.cfg.reveng package, like JDBCReader, even though I saw from the source code that I should be getting some.
I finally noticed that these classses in hibernate tools use the commons-logging LogFactory while classes in org.hibernate.cfg used the slf4j LogFactory.
And in eclipse system properties, I found
Code:
org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.NoOpLog

I don't know where this is set, since it is not in my eclipse.ini; perhaps in some other plugin (Mylyn?)
At any rate, I fixed it by creating a commons-logging.properties file containing
Code:
org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger

and putting this in the classpath of my Hibernate Console configuration.

Post subject: Re: Logging issue in Hibernate Tools plugin in Eclipse
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:34 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Glad you succeeded - I also don't know where the apache logging property is set but its a common problem in a plugin system to have global configurations like this logging setup. no real good solution afaik.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]