-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Column apearing twice in update statement - help
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:29 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I have a composite key for my lookup tables that lets me store the language that the lookup is rendered in. I then have the key and the language as a composite pk. In order to use it else where I have to store the key and language as a composite foriegn key. I map the language to a language column and I also map a property Language to that same column. The problem is that I now have the Language column apearing twice in my SQL statements which SQL Server doesn't like. How can I avoid saving one of these languages?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:08 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Um, I got lost in all those languages a bit :) but the general solution is to use insert="false" update="false" attributes of <property> tag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:00 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Here is a snippet of my class mapping file.
Code:
<many-to-one name="Sector" class="Sector,MyDll" not-null="true">
    <column name="PrimarySSC"/>
    <column name="Language"/> <!-- Don't save this -->
</many-to-one>
<many-to-one name="Language" column="Language" class="Language,MyDll" not-null="true"/>

Since this isn't a property there is no update="false" option. The language is there to keep track of what language is used in the object and for all related objects. So ideally the language column is shared by the class and its children.

Let me know if you need more information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:19 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, another solution: don't map the separate Language property, just declare it like this:

property Language Language
{
get { return Sector.Language; }
}

But this will of course cause Sector to be loaded when accessing the property, I don't know if it matters for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:50 am 
Beginner
Beginner

sergey,

The object that has a Sector object needs to have the semantic of having a Language object. It is that property that determines all of the other language options for the most part. It seems that I may be unable to use my method with nhibernate. This is a bummer. I will keep thinking about it. Hopefully in the future nhibernate will be able to handle such requests.

dru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:51 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

hmmm I wonder if there is a way to tell nhibernate if there are repeated columns to collapse them to one. I doubt it as that doesn't make much sense. hmm.....

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]