-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Using timestamp for custom purposes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:22 am 
Hi,

the doc states (3.1.8 - timestamp):

Quote:
The optional <timestamp> element indicates that the table contains timestamped data. This is intended as an alternative to versioning. Timestamps are by nature a less safe implementation of optimistic locking. However, sometimes the application might use the timestamps in other ways.

I used to have a DateTime column named LastUpdateDate which I updated each time my object get modified. The drawback of this method is that when I call NH to saveorupdate the object with no dirty field except LastUpdateDate, I get an unnecessary database update...

I thought of using a <timestamp> declaration instead of a <column>.

If I do so and no field is dirty, will NH skip the update of the object ? Or will it update the object with only the timestamp modified ?

As an application "might use the timestamp in other ways" such as this one, am I ensured that this usage will still be supported later ?

kind regards

Thibaut

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]