-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mapping Composite Natual Keys
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:59 am 

I was hoping to get your thoughts on a problem I'm having with defining mappings for a table with a composite natural key. I've designed my core schema according to Wiley's "Data Model Resource Book" and it looks like this:

Party
- PK: PartyId

Person : Party
- Name
- BirthDate, etc.

Organization : Party
- Name

RoleType
- PK: RoleTypeId
- Description

PartyRole
- PK: PartyId (FK: Party)
- PK: RoleTypeId (FK: RoleType)

PartyRelationship
- PK: PartyIdFrom, RoleTypeIdFrom (FK: PartyRole)
- PK: PartyIdTo, RoleTypeIdTo (FK: PartyRole)
- PK: FromDate
- ThruDate, Status, Priority, etc.

I've mapped Person and Organization as joined subclasses of Party which is working well. I've mapped PartyRole to Party with a cascading set of RoleType objects related by the join table "PartyRole." Where I'm having trouble is with the relationship class.

Right now, I'm mapping PartyRelationship separately as:

Code:
<class name="Mvp.Objects.PartyRelationship, Mvp.Objects" table="PartyRelationship">
   <composite-id>
      <key-many-to-one name="From" class="Mvp.Objects.PartyRole, Mvp.Objects">
         <column name="PartyIdFrom" />
         <column name="RoleFrom"/>
      </key-many-to-one>
      <key-property name="FromDate" type="DateTime" />
      <key-many-to-one name="To" class="Mvp.Objects.PartyRole, Mvp.Objects">
         <column name="PartyIdTo"/>
         <column name="RoleTo"/>
      </key-many-to-one>
   </composite-id>
</class>

I've also created a trigger to add PartyRole records to meet the foreign key constraints but I still have problems saving relationship objects (SQL update or delection failed - row not found). What's odd is that, when I do the same insert in Query Analyzer, it works fine. When hibernate does it via sp_executesql, it fails.

Do you see a simpler way to map this schema?

Thanks,
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:24 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not a big fan of multi-column PKs - so if it is all possible I would just make a PartyRole.PartyRoleId pk and a PartyRelationship.PartyRelationshipId pk. All the pk's you have defined with multi columns I would change to a unique constraint.

It looks like your mapping is okay (complicated because of the multi-column pks, but okay).

Your PartyRelationship has to override Equals and GetHashCode (http://nhibernate.sourceforge.net/nh-do ... ompositeid) and that could be problematic.

If you've got a trigger - make sure to add SET NOCOUNT ON. Triggers mess with the row count that is returned by insert/update statements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:45 pm 
Mike,

Thanks for your comments. After struggling with the relationship mapping for a while, I'm leaning towards your suggestion of a combination of an internal ID and a unique constraint on the current PK columns.

Your suspicion regarding my trigger was spot on. The trigger ensures that the Party/Role combinations are maintained in a separate join table (and also manages reference counts). I had set NOCOUNT to ON, but I had turned it back off for the actual INSERT (it's an INSTEAD OF trigger). Thanks for the tip on that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]