-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: How to join on to the result of a sub query
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:44 am 

Hello,

I've got two entities, Token and Contract. A single contract can reference a single token.

The goal of my query is to create a projection of token data and also include how many contracts reference that token.

I've managed to get this working:

Code:
TokenItem tokenDto = null;
            Token token = null;
            Contract contractAlias = null;

var subquery = QueryOver.Of<Contract>(() => contractAlias)
                .Where(() => contractAlias.Token.Id == token.Id)
                .ToRowCountQuery();

var tokenItems = session.QueryOver<Token>(() => token);

if (criteria != null)
                criteria(tokenItems);

tokenItems = tokenItems.SelectList(list => list
                                        .Select(c => c.Id).WithAlias(() => tokenDto.TokenId)
                                        .Select(c => c.TokenString).WithAlias(() => tokenDto.Name)
                                        .Select(c => c.DiscountPercent).WithAlias(() => tokenDto.Discount)
                                        .Select(c => c.TermExpiry).WithAlias(() => tokenDto.DiscountDate)
                                        .Select(c => c.Expiry).WithAlias(() => tokenDto.ExpiryDate)
                                        .Select(c => c.Terms).WithAlias(() => tokenDto.Terms)
                                        .SelectSubQuery(subquery).WithAlias(() => tokenDto.NumberOfUses)
                ).TransformUsing(Transformers.AliasToBean<TokenItem>());

return tokenItems.OrderByAlias(() => tokenDto.ExpiryDate)
                .Desc
                .Skip(skip).Take(pageSize)
                .List<TokenItem>();

This does the job and produces this SQL (targeting mysql):

Code:
SELECT
        this_.Id as y0_,
        this_.TokenString as y1_,
        this_.DiscountPercent as y2_,
        this_.TermExpiry as y3_,
        this_.Expiry as y4_,
        this_.Terms as y5_,
        (SELECT
            count(*) as y0_
        FROM
            Contract this_0_
        WHERE
            this_0_.TokenId = this_.Id) as y6_
    FROM
        Token this_
    ORDER BY
        y4_ desc limit ?p0;
    ?p0 = 20 [Type: Int32 (0)]

To my mind this is pretty inefficient and would execute a subquery per token. If i were writing sql I would select from the token table and join on to a subquery from the contract table that grouped by tokenid and selected the rowcount. Try as I might cannot figure out how to express this in nHibernate. To be clear this is like the sql i want:

Code:
SELECT
Token.id, Token.TokenString, Token.DiscountPercent, Token.Termexpiry, Token.Expiry, Token.Terms, Contracts.RowCount
FROM
Token
LEFT OUTER JOIN (SELECT COUNT(1) [RowCount], TokenId FROM Contract GROUP BY TokenId) [Contracts] ON Contracts.TokenId = Token.Id

omitting the limit and ordering. I just hand typed that into this post window so there may be syntax errors. One thread I read was a bit vague but seemed to imply that such a query is not possible in nHibernate. Can anyone confirm that?

Can someone help please? I'm specifically looking for a "QueryOver" solution.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]