-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: HQL help please!!!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:08 pm 

Hi I have a SQL query I am trying to translate to HQL, and having difficulty. It's not too complex, but has a couple of outer joins to the same table, with correlated subqueries:

Code:
select
   document.Id,
   document.Name,
   document.FileName,
   md_author.Value as Author,
   md_publishDate.Value as PublishDate
from
   Document doc
   left outer join Document_Metadata md_author on (
      md_author.DocumentId=doc.Id
      and md_author.MetadataTypeId = (select Id from Metadata_Type where Name='Author'))
   left outer join Document_Metadata md_publishDate on (
      md_publishDate.DocumentId=doc.Id
      and md_publishDate.MetadataTypeId = (select Id from Metadata_Type where Name='Publish Date'))
where
   md_author.Value like 'Smith%'
order by
   md_publishDate.Value desc

To give some more info on the database structure...the Document is my main table. This has a few columns, but more importantly has a one-to-many relationship to Document_Metadata. Finally this has a many-to-one relationship with the Metadata_Type table, which defines the extra metadata that can be applied to documents. This is an extensible structure where "extra" information about Documents can be added without the need to keep adding new columns to the Document table. So if a new piece of document data needs to be stored, we don't add a column to the table, just a new row to the Metadata_Type table, then the relevant data itself in the Document_Metadata table.

Here's the actual structures...table names and then columns in brackets:

Document(Id, Name, Filename, ...many more...)

Document_Metadata(DocumentMetadataId, MetadataTypeId, DocumentId, Value)

Metadata_Type(Id, Name)

Here's some sample data:

Document
1, "first document", "one.txt"
2, "second document", "two.txt"

Document_Metadata
1, 1, 1, "Smith, Paul"
2, 1, 2, "2010-02-01"
3, 1, 1, "Brown, John"

Metadata_Type
1, "Author"
2, "Publish Date"

Please note that the Document_Metadata is optional. For example, document #2 does not have a Publish Date. Hence the use of left outer join in the query.

I'd prefer help in HQL rather than Criteria API, as I have seen some criteria examples with detached criteria and it seems very hard to follow. My real query is actually bigger than the one I have given above, I took some out for brevity!

Many thanks,

Paul

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]