-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mapping problem: HashMap<enum, enum>
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:18 pm 

Hello everyone,

I have the following problem and was not able to find a solution, so you are my last chance.

I am using Hibernate with annotations to generate my database tables. Everything works fine, except for the property relevance, which is a Map which has a enum as key and enum as value. The value of the Map is mapped correctly to VARCHAR, but the key is driving me crazy. At first I had the following annotations:

Code:
@Entity
public class QualityIndicator implements Serializable {
    @CollectionOfElements
    @JoinTable(name = "qproperty_weighting")
    @Enumerated(value = EnumType.STRING)
    @MapKey(columns = @Column(name = "qproperty"))
    @Column(name = "relevance")
    private Map<QualityProperty, Weighting> relevance = new HashMap<QualityProperty, Weighting>();
}

public enum QualityProperty { ... }

public enum Weighting { ... }

When I start tomcat I get the following error:
Code:
ERROR [org.hibernate.tool.hbm2ddl.SchemaUpdate] - <BLOB/TEXT column 'qproperty' used in key specification without a key length>

After a few hours I got to a solution with no errors...

Code:
@Entity
    @CollectionOfElements
    @MapKey(columns = @Column(name = "qproperty"),
                  type = @Type(
                      type="org.hibernate.type.EnumType",
                      parameters = {@Parameter(name = "enumClass", value="ooo.xxx.yyy.domain.QualityProperty")}
                  )
    )
    private Map<QualityProperty, Weighting> relevance = new HashMap<QualityProperty, Weighting>();
}

The problem here is that the enum QualityProperty is mapped to an INTEGER value (the ordinal value) in the database. But I need it to be mapped to a VARCHAR representation (like it is done with simple enum values when using @Enumerated(value = EnumType.STRING)).

Can anyone tell me how I can tell Hibernate to persist the enum key of the map as a VARCHAR value?

I would be deeply grateful for any help or even small hints.

Regards Dumbi

PS: I am not native english speaker, so please indulge my english.

I am using MySQL 5.0.45, the table engine is set to InnoDB, Apache Tomcat 6.0.20, Java 6, Hibernate 3.3.2 GA and Hibernate Annotations 3.4 GA.

Post subject: Re: Mapping problem: HashMap<enum, enum>
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:50 pm 

Hi again,

I finally found the solution myself here... http://opensource.atlassian.com/project ... se/ANN-657

the trick is to add...
Code:
@Parameter(name="type", value="12")

...to the type parameters of qproperty (the key of the map). 12 seems to be the value for VARCHAR.

Complete solution:
Code:
@Entity
    @CollectionOfElements
    @MapKey(columns = @Column(name = "qproperty"),
                  type = @Type(
                      type="org.hibernate.type.EnumType",
                      parameters = {@Parameter(name = "enumClass", value="ooo.xxx.yyy.domain.QualityProperty"), @Parameter(name="type", value="12")}
                  )
    )
}

Regards,
dumbi

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]