-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate @Where annotation not working with inheritance
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:02 pm 

It seems that it is not possible to use the @Where annotation when mapping a collection of entities that make use of the JOIN inheritance strategy. The problem is that Hibernate assumes that the column referenced in the @Where clause will be found in the table of the entity we are limiting, rather than also checking for the column in the super-class tables for that entity.

I have created a Jira issue and a test case demonstrating the problem: https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HHH-12016

My question is if anyone can think of a workaround for this problem. How can I limit my @OneToMany children, without giving up inheritance?

Post subject: Re: Hibernate @Where annotation not working with inheritance
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:06 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

There is a workaround.

Just use @JoinFormula on the @ManyToOne association.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:03 pm 

Vlad, could you please expand a little on your answer?

I already tried using @JoinFormula, but the problem I ran into was that Hibernate generated a sub-select query inside the outter join condition, resulting in
Code:
"ORA-01799: a column may not be outer-joined to a subquery"
error. So that didn't work either.

It is possible that I used @JoinFormula wrong though. Could you please show me how to do it correctly? The details of what I tried are here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/465 ... nheritance

But to summarize, I did:
Code:
@ManyToOne
    @JoinColumnsOrFormulas([
        @JoinColumnOrFormula(formula = @JoinFormula(value = "(APPLICATION_OID)", referencedColumnName="APPLICATION_OID")),
        @JoinColumnOrFormula(formula = @JoinFormula(value = "(select apv.PROJECT_VERSION_OID from DFIP_PROJECT_VERSION pv, DFIP_APPLN_PROJ_VERSION apv where apv.PROJECT_VERSION_OID = pv.PROJECT_VERSION_OID and apv.APPLICATION_OID = APPLICATION_OID and pv.PROJ_VSN_EFF_TO_DTM is null)", referencedColumnName="PROJECT_VERSION_OID")),
    ])
    ApplicationProjectVersion latestVersion;

What is the correct way to do it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:17 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Just make the @ManyToOne LAZY. By default, it's EAGER, which is bad for performance and it's not working for you either.

Code:
@ManyToOne(fetch = FetchType.LAZY)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:33 pm 

If I make it LAZY, does it not just defer exactly the same problem until the time when I do want to fetch the latest ApplicationProjectVersion? Besides, I never want the Application w/o the latest ApplicationProjectVersion - it's not useful w/o it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:41 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

If you defer it, it will use a secondary query.

If you always need it, then just remove the complex relationship and write a JPQL/SQL query to fetch these two using a JOIN instead. Usually, an exotic association is a code smell.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:34 pm 

Just to follow up, I did end up discovering a way to emulate a polymorphic @Where annotation.

Solution described here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/465 ... nheritance

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]