-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: org.hibernate.MappingException: Unknown entity with derived
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:02 am 

Hello everybody.

I have a number of POJOs auto-generated with the Hibernate reverse engineering feature. They look like:
Code:
package db;
/**
* Pojo generated by hbm2java
*/
public class Pojo implements java.io.Serializable
{
    private int id;

public Pojo() {
    }

public Pojo(int id) {
        this.id = id;
    }

public int getId() {
        return this.id;
    }

public void setId(int id) {
        this.id = id;
    }
}

I need to do various things with some of these POJOs and thus created derived classes, such as:
Code:
package input;

public class Pojo extends db.Pojo
{
    public Pojo()
    {
        // TODO Auto-generated constructor stub
        super();
    }

public void doSomething()
    {}
}

At some point I need to store new instances of these POJOs using a Session object:

Quote:
input.Pojo pj = new input.Pojo();
pj.doSomething();
session.save((db.Pojo) pj);

Even though the POJO instance is being cast to the generated parent class, Hibernate gets upset and spits out the familiar exception:

Quote:
Exception in thread "main" org.hibernate.MappingException: Unknown entity: input.Pojo

Naturally, I could created new methods in the generated POJOs, but I would prefer to leave them unchanged (particularly since the database is expected to evolve). Is it possible to avoid this exception? Say, by "forcing" Hibernate to recognise the cast? Or can this be achieved some other way?

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: org.hibernate.MappingException: Unknown entity with derived
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:14 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hibernate is aware of the db.Pojo class but it doesn't have any mapping for input.Pojo.

You should add the doSomething method into the db.Pojo class.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:56 am 

mihalcea_vlad wrote:
You should add the doSomething method into the db.Pojo class.

It will get deleted when the POJO is generated.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:41 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

For practical reasons, the auto-generated source code shouldn't overwrite the project sources.
Most such generators, us ethe Maven target folder for that like the Metamodel generator.

This way, you can do the merge between the existing entities and the newly generated entity classes manually.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:33 am 

mihalcea_vlad wrote:
For practical reasons, the auto-generated source code shouldn't overwrite the project sources.

Would there be a bug with the reverse engineering feature? In any event, if there are changes to the model, I would prefer the reverse engineering to reflect them.

mihalcea_vlad wrote:
Most such generators, us ethe Maven target folder for that like the Metamodel generator.

I am not using Maven. Nor is it clear why should the reverse engineering use it...

mihalcea_vlad wrote:
This way, you can do the merge between the existing entities and the newly generated entity classes manually.

I do not understand this so well. The goal of using inheritance is precisely to avoid "manual" changes and replication.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:31 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I was referring to the export part. I'd choose a different target folder than the one used to store the project sources.

Quote:
The goal of using inheritance is precisely to avoid "manual" changes and replication.

Inheritance has its goals, but I don't think that avoiding "manual" changes and database replication are related to it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:23 am 

I must confess I am at a loss here.

mihalcea_vlad wrote:
I was referring to the export part. I'd choose a different target folder than the one used to store the project sources.

I have no idea how the export feature comes into play here. As far as I know it is not being used (correct me if I am wrong).

mihalcea_vlad wrote:
Inheritance has its goals, but I don't think that avoiding "manual" changes and database replication are related to it.

There is no replication in the this particular database. That is not the issue here.

Cheers.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]