-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Perform search using HQL/which join type to user?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:03 am 

I have the following model;

- I have users and rules
- a user can be added to 0, 1 or more rules
- a rule can contain 0, 1 or more users

Here is the UserEntity class:

Code:
        class UserEntity {

private String username;

private List<RuleEntity> rules;

@Column(name = "username", nullable = false, unique = true)
        public String getUsername() {
            return username;
        }

@ManyToMany(mappedBy="users" , fetch = FetchType.LAZY)
        public List<RuleEntity> getRules() {
            return rules;
        }

}

And the RuleEntity class:

Code:
        class RuleEntity {
            private String name;

private List<UserEntity> users;

@Column(name = "name", nullable = false)
            public String getRuleName() {
                 return ruleName;
            }

@ManyToMany (fetch = FetchType.LAZY)
            @JoinTable(name= "RULE_USER" ,joinColumns=@JoinColumn
            (name=RuleEntity.RULE_ID, referencedColumnName="ID", insertable = true, updatable = false, nullable = false),
          inverseJoinColumns=@JoinColumn
          (name=UserEntity.USER_ID, referencedColumnName="ID", insertable = true, updatable = false, nullable = false),
          uniqueConstraints = @UniqueConstraint(columnNames = {RuleEntity.RULE_ID, UserEntity.USER_ID}))
          public List<UserEntity> getUsers() {
             return users;
          }

}

I am trying to implement a search whereby a user can search using:

- only a username
- only a rulename
- a username and a rulename

So I am performing 2 HQL queries, one to return the matching users and one to return the matching rules e.g.

Code:
    public SearchResults search(String maybePartialUsername, String maybePartialRuleName) {
        List<UserEntity> userEntities = hqlQuery("select distinct users from UserEntity as users inner join users.rules as rules where users.username like :maybePartialUsername and rules.ruleName like :maybePartialRuleName");

List<RuleEntity> ruleEntities = hqlQuery("select distinct rules from RuleEntity as rules inner join rules.users as users where users.username like :maybePartialUsername and rules.ruleName like :maybePartialRuleName");

return SearchResults(userEntities, ruleEntities);
    }

The first HQL query for finding users matching a username (and/or rulename) works fine when a user is a member of at least one rule, but it returns no results when a user has not been added to any rules.

Changing the 'inner join' to a 'left join' does not help. The problem lies in the 'rules.ruleName like :maybePartialRuleName' condition, if I remove this the query works, but I need this in the query in the cases where the join with the rules tables succeeds (i.e. a user DOES have rules), and thus I then need to filter by rule name as well as username.

Code:
   select distinct users from UserEntity as users inner join users.rules as rules where users.username like :maybePartialUsername and rules.ruleName like :maybePartialRuleName

Post subject: Re: Perform search using HQL/which join type to user?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:45 pm 

Answer here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22478321/perform-search-using-hql-which-join-type-to-user/22488253#22488253

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]