-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Template pattern causing odd results in Entity object
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:44 pm 

Hi all. I have an abstract Entity class, Event, and concrete classes like EventVideo, EventPhoto, etc that extend it. I want to place the object id of the video, photo, etc into the Event table in a column named "item". In entity I have
Code:
    @Column(name = "item")
    public Long getItem() {return getObjectId();} // abstract, template pattern
    public abstract Long getObjectId();

and in EventVideo
Code:
   @Override
   public Long getObjectId() {
      return mediaVideo.getMediaId();
   }

I would think this would attempt to write to event.item a value of the mediaId, but I get the error
Code:
[org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter] ERROR: column event6_.mediavideo does not exist

When I look at the SQL insert, it never mentions the column "item", but thinks there is a column named "mediavideo".

If I however put the following in EventVideo and remove item from Event, all works perfectly.
Code:
   @JoinColumn(name = "item")
   @ManyToOne(fetch = FetchType.EAGER)
   private MediaVideo mediaVideo;
   public MediaVideo getMediaVideo() {return mediaVideo;}
   public void setMediaVideo(MediaVideo mediaVideo) {this.mediaVideo = mediaVideo;}

I would Much rather use the broken solution because then I can enforce adding the getObjectId on the concrete method. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone for you help!

Post subject: Re: Template pattern causing odd results in Entity object
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:45 pm 

Oopps...forgot to mention that this is with Hibernate 3.6.1 Final. Thanks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]